Thursday, June 5, 2008

Beauty



Pictured above is a photograph of me workin' my natural. I didn't dry my hair, and I didn't put on makeup. This is who I am, and I want to be proud of the person in this picture.

The media portrays an interesting idea of beauty to us, as Americans. I have, for so long, strived to fit these standards and felt less than important when I believed that I failed in doing this.

However, I don't believe I'll be doing this anymore. The following is a list of things in which I see real beauty.

1. Aging gracefully
2. Classical piano music
3. Getting caught in the rain, and enjoying the moment.
4. Black and white photographs on the beach
5. Conversations with good friends over wine
6. The people who are there for you to cry on
7. Daring to be different
8. Those who appreciate literature
9. Puppy paws
10. Four leaf clovers
11. A grandmother's hands
12. A baby's laughter
13. Rewarding yourself when you deserve it
14. Courage
15. Driving a car for the first time
16. Tulips
17. Cancer survivors
18. Believing in yourself
19. Random road trips
20. My mother's voice when she comforts me
21. Mothers-to-be
22. Men who believe and practice the art of romance...and mean it.
23. Freckles
24. Laying out on the beach
25. Laughing with people you love
26. Faith...in anything.
27. Charities
28. Confidence
29. Single mothers
30. People who still use typewriters
31. Rescuing animals from shelters
32. The idea of family, either those given by blood or by God.
33. Easter Sunday
34. True love
35. Home movies
36. Acoustic guitars
37. Seeing a place for the first time
38. First kisses
39. Knowing you're in the right place at the right time
40. Loyalty
41. Long phone calls to your best friend
42. Knowing that one of your prayers was answered
43. The people who stick by you
44. The feeling that everything will, in fact, be alright
45. Karma
46. Tears
47. Not going to sleep and watching the sunrise
48. Dreamers
49. Memories
50. L I F E

Let's not be afraid to let our real beauty shine through :)

No comments: