Monday, February 16, 2009

The Man Who Loved To Laugh and Live

I've read the great poems of the past
and heard quotes by famous men.
But, I'd give up all of this knowledge fast
just to hear your voice again.

You were the kindest man I'd ever known
and one of the wisest, too.
I still can't believe that you're gone,
and I know that I'll always miss you.

I saw your notes written in the books
that I, like you, adore.
From the church, three books I took,
and you know I'll go back for more.

I feel as if you left us too soon,
and I can't stop wondering why.
Late at night, in the light of the moon,
I think of our loss as I cry.

The wind blew all of your flowers away,
and all that remains is dirt.
I stood in front of it with so much to say,
but the silence made me angry and hurt.

The choir still wears the black and white robes,
but the songs don't sound the same.
We re-tell the stories that everyone knows,
and we smile each time we say your name.

I glanced out window, high on the hill,
at your final resting place.
A mix of emotions are what I feel
as I picture your smiling face.

Please, know that we all understand
that you will keep us safe and warm.
We know that you are in God's hand,
free of all worry, away from all harm.

The man who loved to laugh and live
is with the ones we love
flying with angels holding blessings to give
to us, from the land up above.

Love always,
Haley

1 comment:

Pattie Thomas said...

This is beautiful.........