Sunday, March 9, 2008

My Statement

One thing that bothers me about the attitude of today's society is the extreme LACK of will to make a statement. You see, I was under the impression that we're only given a short amount of time on Earth, and our purpose is to believe in something and make a statement for those beliefs. What happened? Is it socially taboo to be remembered for something you strongly believe? If you died tomorrow, what kind of legacy would you leave behind? Would it be cliche'? Would anyone remember it ten years later? Is it not a slap in the face to whoever you choose to worship if you do not use the life given to you to support something, anything? There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting yourself out there and standing up for WHO YOU ARE. So many people are afraid of what may be said about them if they step out of the box. This is understandable, seeing as so many people ridicule those who dare to make a new path. So, let me make myself public. Let me make my statement, and put myself at risk for insult. To anyone who wishes to gossip, let me say that it fails to matter. I am still in the journey to find what I'm meant to do while I'm here, but I know that I will find it. I will never accept that I'm meant to be average, and if this bothers you, maybe it's because you know you HAVE accepted that for yourself. I refuse to live a mediocre life, and not make my mark. And, when my time is up, I hope that if anyone wishes to find out what it is I believed in, they will be able to ask someone and be told. I have no secrets, my life is an open book. I will remember the compliments I get, and forget the insults. I will move forward with those who make my life better, and leave behind those who cause me harm. The amount of money in my bank account will NOT define how successful of a person I am. What should, and DOES, matter are the lives I've touched, and other lives I've allowed to influence and teach me. I will embrace the struggles, and the right and wrong choices that I make. I will love the fact that I'm not always right. I will take the hard road, if it is the one that will get me where I want to be. I will continue to question those in authority, as well as the laws that I do not understand. I will NOT hurt those I love just to get further in life. I will not mind seeing those I care about reaching "success" before I do. I will follow my dreams. I will enjoy the power and beauty that comes with youth. I want to show that real friends ARE family, reputations are nonsense, and exposing your soul IS worth it, if you love who you are. So, here it is, here's my statement:

I'm Haley Lauren Thomas, and I do believe that one person can change the world.

1 comment:

Pattie Thomas said...

You definitely changed my world and continue to do so..........love ya, twirl!