Sunday, March 2, 2008

Addressed to Granddaddy.


I'm not sure why, but I was thinking a lot about you today. I've been through a lot in the past few years, and I have made many different types of decisions to get through the struggles. I wonder if you would be proud of me. I've forgotton the stories you used to tell us, even the one about the skunk, and it was my favorite. I don't even remember your voice anymore, and it tears me up. I do remember, however, the way you put pepper on everything, and lots of it. I will never forget the chair you always sat in during the big breakfasts that grandmother would always make when all of us spent the night. I still have the big teddy bear you got me, and I'll always tell the story of how you chose this one over a white bear because it looked real, and you knew I'd like it more. I remember being confused when you passed away, and I did not understand why. I still don't. You were the only grandfather that I ever knew, and nobody has ever changed that. I hope that at some point, people that knew you will be able to look at me and see characteristics of you. I just wanted you to know that I still think of you, we all do. I know that I've put myself in too many dangerous situations, and I'm aware that somebody up there has pulled a lot of strings to keep me safe and well down here. I'm pretty sure it's you, and I owe you a really big "THANK YOU"!! So, thank you.

1 comment:

Pattie Thomas said...

One of my most touching memories of you as a child was at your granddaddy's funeral. The family was allowed a few minutes with his body before the service began. You wanted to go see him, but I wasn't so sure that was a good idea.

We decided to let you go and I walked up with you to say good bye. You walked up and just stood by the casket. You started to leave..but then turned around and gently touched his hand. A truly sweet gesture for such a little child. One last touch for a man you really loved and that loved you.
He would definitely be proud of you today.