Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Unforgettable


Last weekend, I was a bridesmaid in the wedding of one of my dearest friends, Lane. Lane and I met many years ago in ballet class, but became close friends in the sixth grade. From that point on, she has been a significant person in my life. We went through all the pains that come with growing up together. We were there for each other as we experienced the big firsts that come in the teen years: first kiss, first date, first love, first heartbreak, etc. She was always someone that I really did trust, and I can honestly say that she never betrayed that trust. No matter what we were going through, she and I could always find a way to laugh. In fact, 90% of our friendship has been spent laughing, and I would not have it any other way. I could write an entire book full of hilarious stories about silly things that we did. It seems like only yesterday we were riding our bikes to Sno-Biz with our Frankenstein and wolf masks.

Even though it seems like yesterday, it has been almost 10 years. I do not think I truly realized that until I saw Lane walk down the aisle Saturday. She looked happier than I've ever seen her. She was absolutely beautiful. I thought about how patient she had been through the years when it came to dating. She always knew that one day, she would find the man of her dreams. Watching her marry the love of her life is something that I will always remember. I am so glad that I got to be a part of the best day of her life. One of life's greatest gifts is seeing good things happening to good people. It is even better when that good person happens to be very dear to your heart.

Lane and Ray got married at the Prince of Peace Catholic Church in Hoover. The reception was held at B & A Warehouse in Birmingham. Since most of the wedding party got rooms at the Sheraton for the weekend, we were all together for most of the weekend. Friday, we had the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. Ray made an awesome slide show with pictures that showed them grow from birth to the present day. It was a night of laughter, tears, toasts, and quality time with good friends that I do not get to see often. The food was as wonderful as the company, but the highlight of the night was the toast given by Dr. Mike, Lane's dad. Of course, it made us all cry, but it was clear to everyone just how much he loves his daughter. There was a lot of love in that room that night, and everyone said so many kind things about Lane and Ray. Saturday, we met at the church at about 11 A.M. to do our hair and makeup. We took pictures, ate, had our hair and makeup touched up, and then we waited. The minutes seemed to drag on, but before we knew it, it was time to walk down the aisle! After a beautiful ceremony, my dear friend was officially Mrs. Lane Kulovitz Snead.

The rest of the night was a celebration, and I am almost positive Lane's smile never left her face. After all of the stress, planning, and preparation for her special day, she was finally able to just enjoy the night and soak it all in. After all, she did have to start her first day as a teacher Monday, so I was especially glad to see her be able to not stress over that for just one day. She is going to be a fantastic teacher and an even better wife! Life is good.


Here's to a lifetime of love and laughter :)

(I'll add more pictures later-- promise!)

Daddy & Me at Lane and Ray's reception

No comments: